Book your guided tour in Romagna!
Want to receive updates about our offers and our initiatives?
Sign up for our NEWSLETTER!
Forlì, Forlì-Cesena provincial capital is considered as one of the
best cities of Italy thanks to the quality of life, measured with different indicators
like services, culture, art, economic systems, traffic and green belts, university.
Situated in the Po Valley along the Via Emilia, it was founded by Romans during
the II Century BC with the patronymic Forum Livii. Even if there are not any historical
certainties, people think that the consul Livio Salinatore founded the city.
The city preserves, mainly in the historical center, valuable monuments representing
its past and the succession of all the Seigniors who controlled the city, such as
Ordelaffi, Sforza, Borgia.
Nowadays these monuments witness the testimony of all the events that marked the
life of the city and represent an artistic and cultural heritage worth discovering
People: about 108400
Altitude: 34 mt. slm
Surface: about 228 kmq
Useful numbers: Municipio 0543.712111
Address: Municipio Piazza Saffi, 8 - Forlì
CASTROCARO THERMAE AND TERRA DEL SOLE
Castrocaro Thermae and Terra del Sole, important thermal centre,
is 10 km from Forlì on the 67th state highway which links Ravenna to Firenze,
in the direction of Firenze.
Those who come to Forlì visiting the exhibition of Melozzo have to reach
the ancient small town which conserv which preserves interesting historical monuments
from the Middle Ages, the Renaissance and from the Art Deco period.
The medieval Fortress of Castrocaro is not to be missed, being
one of the greatest of Italy. It also houses an historical and archeological museum.
The medieval suburb has a breezy Citadel with
a Byzantine Baptistery. In the modern part there is the bath
complex in art deco style, the only one in Italy! In Terra del Sole
the Palazzo Pretorio is not to be missed, with its Man and
Environment's Museum, the piazza d'Armi and the walls
belonging to the Medici family. Finally, also the agricultural and the wine-growing
companies of the area deserve a visit: they belong to the Strada dei vini and to
the flavors of the Hills of Forlì-Cesena.
Medieval Fortress of Castrocaro
Opening hours : From the 27th of February; on Saturday from 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.,
on Sunday and public holidays from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.;
From April to October: on Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.,
on Sunday and public holidays from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and from 4:00 p.m. to
Schools and groups can book the guided tour for any day and time, even outside opening
Tel. CASTROCARO'S PROLOCO 0543.769541 - 339.4991560.
Art deco complex of the baths
For the tour call the GRAND HOTEL TERME, 0543.767114.
Palazzo Pretorio in Terra del Sole
From the 1st of October to the 31st of May, from Monday to Saturday: from 9:00 a.m.
to 12:00 a.m. and from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Schools and groups can reserve guided
tours for any day and time, even outside opening hours.
Tel. PROLOCO in TERRA
DEL SOLE: 0543.766766
18 km from the tollgate of Forly, on the Via Aemilia in the direction of Cesena,
the Hill of Bertinoro stands on the right, where the picturesque medieval suburb
is situated. From its panoramic position,it dominates the surrounding plain.
The walled citadel, once precious and often contended for its strategic position,
still preserves parts of the ancients walls and of the several donjons and doors.
It also features a still medieval city plan, with alleys, glimpses, little steep
streets, ancient houses in stones offering an atmosphere of other times.
Famous for the hospitality of its citizens, Bertinoro preserves the symbol of this
peculiarity: the Anella Column, erected in the 13th Century to receive foreigners
and to avoid any disputes between the local families which wanted to host them.
Each ring of the column corresponded to a family. The foreigner used to hitch his
horse to one of the twelve rings of the column, in this way he became the host of
its family. The tradition is still practiced today during the Hospitality Festival
which takes place every year on the first Sunday of September.
According to a legend, Bertinoro is known for its wines and, its toponym should
refer to the quality of the wine-growing production of the place. Galla Placidia
visited the town and after tasting the wine, praised it with beautiful words.
Besides the regional Cà de Bé wine cellar, there are many other wine cellars to
visit. They belong to the Strada dei Vini and to the Sapori dei Colli of
Forlì-Cesena, where it is possible to taste and buy typical wines of the
region, enjoying a wonderful outlook all over Romagna.
In the surroundings: Polenta, with the ancient Pieve where Dante is said to have
knelt down, which became the subject of one of Carducci's poems; Monte Maggio which
overlooks Bertinoro and Terme della Fratta.
People: about 9100
Altitude: 220 mt. slm
Surface: about 57 kmq
Centro residenziale universitario 0543.446500
Address: Municipio Piazza della Libertà, 1 - Bertinoro
Forlimpopoli is not far from Forlì, along the Via Aemilia in direction tpo
The town, rich in history, was built up by Romans during the 2nd Century BC with
the name of Forum Popili, probably due to the consul founder Popilio Lenate.
Between the fascinating monuments, there is the Fortress identified as the most
impressive and suggestive. It has four circular donjons and the walkway for the
patrol. It was built up where he Cathedral of the Albornoz Cardinal was once situated,
in 1361, retook the town taking it away from Ordelaffi family. Forlimpopoli is known
both for the bandit Stefano Pelloni who plundered the well-off inhabitants with
his band and for Pellegrino Artusi, who was the father of the Italian gastronomy,
remembered every year in the Artusi's Festival.
People: about 11300
Altitude: 31 mt. slm
Surface: about 24 kmq
Useful numbers: Municipio 0543.749111
Address: Municipio Piazza Fratti, 2 - Forlimpopoli
Predappio is located in the valley of the river Rabbi, in a hilly area full of rare
vineyards from which the most appreciated wines of Romagna come. Without any doubts,
the most widespread is Sangiovese. It is 16 km from Forlì end easy to reach, driving
along the 9th state highway of Rabbi, in the direction of Premilcuore-Firenze. The
town, clearly separated from the more ancient/ older part called Predappio Alta,
represents Benito Mussolini's will of paying homage to his birthplace. The official
reason for its foundation was the alleged danger of the old village, which was considered
o be at risk / in danger because of the landslides of the area, which would endanger
both the stability of the buildings and people's safety..
Constructed between the ‘20s and the ‘40s, Predappio shows the unmistakable fascist
city plan and the typical rationalist architecture. It preserves some places strictly
connected with the Duce's life, such as his native house and the family vault. On
the 30th of August the foundation ceremony was officiated and the village became
the local chief town: Villa Pandolfa, majestic palace which probably dates back
to the first half of the 15th Century, Rocca delle Caminate.
People: about 6160
Altitude: 130 mt. slm
Surface: about 92 kmq
Ufficio Informazioni Turistiche 0543.921222
Address: Municipio Piazza San Antonio, 3 – Predappio
PORTICO SAN BENEDETTO IN ALPE / CIVITELLA
The town is on the road which connects Forlì and Firenze.
In this territory there are three villages: Portico di Romagna, seat of the town
hall, Bocconi and San Benedeto in Alpe. The last one is the last outpost before
the pass of the Muraglione, along the 67th state highway which leads to Firenze.
These areas were part of Romagna-Tuscany and became part of the province of Forlì
only in 1923. The origins of the villages are very old: à they are the typical settlements
which were once built in the valley of the river. The wide local territory is bordered
by the main crest of the Tuscany-Romagna Apennines and by two minor ones which form
the Valley of Montone. The most mountainous zones are covered by woods and waterways,
and they are part of the National Park of Foreste Casentinesi, Campigna and Monte
Premilcuore is a town with 832 inhabitants, located in the province of Forlì-Cesena. It is a forestry and pastoral centre on the Apennines of Tuscan-Romagna, in the river Rabbi valley. According to legends, Premilcuore was founded in 215 A.C. by a centurion, whose name was Romano Marcelliano. He was escaping from persecution by Emperor Caracalla, who was wanting him on a charge of conspiracy. Romano Marcelliano took to the Rabbi forest with some other soldiers and they began together a new life, dedicated to farming, hunting and agriculture. The very first mark on Premilcuore was found in a document dated 1124: here they talk about a town owned by the Abbey of San Benedetto in Alpe. In 1220 the Emperor Federico II gave the territory to Counts Guidi di Modigliana. They built the Castle "dell'Ontaneta".
In 1371 Castrum Premilcori, the Fortress, the Tower and 25 fireplaces were given to the Ecclesiastical Vicar of the Fiumane. From 1404 up to 1859 this town was part of the Florence domination.
On the 25th July 1859 Premilcuore became part of the Italian State. The town was of Florence's domination until 1923, when it passed over under the Province of Forlì.
An ancient border land along the Bidente river, rich in history, ancient castles
and small isolated villages. Santa Sofia has inherited a thriving artistic and cultural
activity from the grand-ducal Tuscan Romagna: that's what gave this town the charm
of nowadays. Its two souls live in perfect harmony: ancient and modern find their
balance in the magnificent setting of a luxuriant and protected nature.
A brief history.
This town has a curious history: it was divided in two by the Bidente river and
for a long period had two names: Santa Sofia was the name of the part of the town
on the left bank and Mortano the name of the part on the right bank. This division
represented the border between Papal Romagna and Tuscany. In 1923 the village became
part of the province of Forlì and in 1924 Mortano passed under the municipal
administration of Santa Sofia ratifying the union. Places of tradition.
Piazza Matteotti, on the left bank of the Bidente river, is the true heart of this
small town. Palazzo Comunale, the civic tower and Palazzo Giorgi, which dates back
to the 17th century and has preserved its original late baroque style, are some
of the attractions of this small town. The square has changed over the centuries,
due to the devastation caused by earthquakes as showed in the painting by an anonymous
17th-century painter kept in the parish church of S. Lucia.
In Via Roma, on the right bank of the river, there is the "Vero Stoppioni" Contemporary
Art Museum, with a permanent collection of works from various movements, mostly
collected in the 50 years of the famous Premio Campigna editions. 'La Mistura',
a splendid work of art made using different materials by Mattia Moreni (1920-99),
is one of the works exhibited in the gallery.
The Art Gallery is connected to the Park of outdoor sculptures. It is an open air
structure that collects installations by world famous artists in different spots
of the town, creating a unique union between art and environment.
Places of nature.
Santa Sofia also offers natural masterworks, which are part of the National Park
of the Casentino Forests, Mount Falterona and Campigna. The Campigna forest offers
wonderful views all year long, with imposing silver firs and walks in the most luxuriant
and intact nature.
Corniolo, a nearby old village was once under the domain of the Counts Guidi of
Modigliana and then of the Corniolo part of the family. The Church of S. Pietro
a Corniolo is worth a visit. It dates back to the 12th century, and was the religious
point of reference of the ancient court of Fafforata (today's Corniolo). Unfortunately
there is nothing left of the original building which was destroyed several times
by earthquakes. The present Romanesque style was created during restoration work
after the 1918-19 earthquakes. There are excellent ancient and contemporary works
of art inside.
Ridracoli is an extremely small village of great interest and in the nearby you
can admire some old cottages restored after years of neglect. Here you can see the
magnificent dam with an artificial lake and a green forest behind it. It's a men
work, but in perfect harmony with nature.